Meet Our February FiberFriend: GGMadeIt

1. What is your name and where are you from?
My name is Gaye Glasspie (that’s where the GG comes from) and I was born and raised in NJ! I currently reside on Clifton.

15E2F818-4CF0-4033-B22B-FAFA7D901411

2. What is your craft? How long have you been crafting? And how did you learn?
I knit and have been for the last like 8 years. Well I’m actually bi-stitchual because I crochet too. I learned to hook as a kid. As for my beloved knitting, can you believe I’m self taught? I am a proud graduate of YouTube U! Hahahahaaa I have also been blessed to have some wonderful folks and yarn shops to push and encourage me.

68B66F14-5BEB-4E99-8A38-7096649BF885
3. What is your favorite project?
This question changes as I learn and explore new knitting frontiers. I use to say my Spring Fever because that was the first major fingering weight project I ever completed. It’s the project that I get stopped the most and questioned. Nothing feels better than saying “I made it”

C2DBCAC6-4BF7-4418-BCE0-AA7DF2FBEB81

TODAY the answer to this question is my latest FO The Little Cardi Bomber by Amanda Kaffka. First I can’t believe I did it so quickly and it came out lovely, so yea that’s the answer.

B7124AF9-2370-4ADC-9A9F-5EA2589A8B9F
4. Who is your crafting inspiration?
Nope, I ain’t answering this one because I would go on and on. I have those that inspire me technique-wise, You know the folks that brioche in their sleep. Then, you have those with a sense of color style, they have me like I would NEVER put those colors together. Then, then the designers, ugh so many of them blow my mind. AND and, each one of those categories have multiple folks in them…so nope I ain’t and you can’t make me!

12ABA8A7-F554-4D86-9BE2-7E7903BAD4F3
5. What advice would you give a fellow woman of color who has just begun her crafting journey?
This is the part that should not matter, it’s 2018 and we knit too! The fact that we are the minority shouldn’t stop anyone from learning to knit. It’s ironic that so many of us crochet but the numbers are not the same when it comes to knitting. Is it an economic issue? Generally those that crochet lean towards acrylic yarns, where knitters are seen as yarn snobs because of the more expensive yarns commonly used.
I say do you and be you! Walk in that yarn shop and ask for help. If they are not receptive find another, but please do not NOT knit because of some perceived bias!

I have had 1 bad experience out of the many yarn shops I have visited. One! Which was totally overshadowed by all the warmth and love I felt in other shops. So, for any of your readers that are thinking of knitting I say do it!

7503E5BC-F37B-448A-87B3-1BB4154E6C31
6. How can we connect with you? (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, Etsy shop, website…list them all)
Where you can find me

Blog – http://ggmadeit.com/blog/
Twitter – GGmadeit
Instagram – GGmadeit
Ravelry – GGmadeit
Periscope – https://www.periscope.tv/GGmadeit/1dRKZAodkRaxB
Etsy – https://www.etsy.com/shop/GGmadeitbyhand
Facebook – https://www.facebook.com/GGmadeit?ref=hl
Pinterest – http://pinterest.com/sweetdrk1/pins/

29264659-E017-4695-90F8-1B4D210B884B

25 Comments Add yours

1. Nisey says:

That’s my sister and I am so so so proud of her and she is a The BEST and a BEAST with those knitting needles. Gaye you are such an amazing human being, sister, friend and SO DESERVING of all the blessings being bestowed upon you. I love ❤️ babe and I am just going to continue watching the growth and cheering you on ROCK STAR ⭐️ 🌟 💫

2. Carol says:

GG or Gaye! Is the best! Love her! She’s so sweet and I love her work!👏👏👏😘

3. Cindi Ryan says:

Awesomely inspirational.

4. Carol Hapner says:

GG is the BEST. Full of interesting knitting information. ❤️

5. Gaye Jones says:

I found GG on Facebook and follow all her projects, which is not easy because she has SO MANY!! She had a great eye for patterns and color (orange!) and inspires all her friend with her boldness and energy. I love seeing her featured here because she’s the “relle” deal! Thanks!!

6. Christian says:

I love GG! It’s awesome to follow her crafting journey.

7. heyjenrenee says:

I love GG so much!!! This is a fantastic feature and I always love reading and learning more about my crafty friend. Such an inspiration! 🧡

8. Jane Conley says:

I 🧡 following GG! She shares my love for all things fiber and I was so excited to meet her at VKL NYC last month 😊

9. Laurie Wright says:

GG is literally one of my favorite knitters. She is so in love with knitting, she inspires me. I told someone the other day, ‘I knit everyday’. I think GG knits several times a day.Thanks for featuring my fav!

10. Kim says:

Thanks for covering our beloved GG. She is awesome!!

11. dgitcrochet says:

My Fave…. hey GG. Love the feature.

12. LIza says:

GG is marvelous and you didn’t even mention her “it’s Saturday and here are 10 questions”. That is a real act of crafting love.

1. Wow! I can’t believe that was over looked. I love her Saturday questions 💕

13. Dottie says:

GG is a amazing knitter. Love seeing her projects. Can she knit fast. One day I hope to meet her in person. Stitches West just saying. West coast would love to meet U in person, just saying.

14. Kathy M. says:

I love GG and follow her on FB! She is amazing with her handmade Orange wardrobe from a fellow orange lover!

15. Madelyn says:

Great interview. GG is so inspiring to so many of us!

16. Rani says:

You are simply amazing Mommy Gaye! You inspire in everything you do and I’m so happy and blessed that you came into our lives. Mahal kita!!! 😘😘😘😍😍😍

Liked by 1 person

17. I love GG! She is great, giving & gorgeous! I’m glad to follow her on social media. I learn so much from her.

18. Michelle says:

Great interview!!

19. Stacy says:

Very talented & creative young lady since childhood. Amazing interview, very very proud to say that she’s an inspiration to a young family member of mine. Keep on inspiring GG!!!

20. Doris says:

GG is a talented, beautiful, super awesome person. She’s great at everything she does and is an inspiration to everyone. Great interview GG

21. Loren Gaffin says:

Great feature and interview! I met GG through Facebook when she participated in the Steven and Stephen tour. I was in awe of her enthusiasm about knitting and the designers.

22. Lori Koury says:

GG is an incredibly talented lady! I’ve never followed anyone before but have been following GG since she was featured in Knitscene magazine! Her ability to be cool and just a real, regular person is awesome!

23. GG says:

Wow! I didn’t scroll all the way down and I missed the comments! Way to make my eyeballs sweat! You guys have no idea what your words mean to me! Thank you all from the bottoms of my heart!

Liked by 1 person

24. Gaye is a beautiful soul with an abundance of love and talent to share. To experience her multitude of gifts is a Blessings. An inspiration!
    Love, Sabrina D. Kuhn-Jones