1. What is your name and where are you from?
My name is Al’vina Janae and I’m from Norfolk VA 🧜🏾♀️ born and raised.
2. What is your preferred art form? And when did you start?
My preferred art form is writing ✍🏽️✍🏽️ (poetry to be exact) and I started writing when I was about 14.
3. Who are your biggest influences?
My biggest influences would have to be Maya Angelou, Phyllis Wheatley, Rupi Kaur and Reyna Biddy. 👸🏾👸🏻
4. What is your favorite work that you’ve produced so far?
My favorite piece that I’ve written so far would have to be A Letter to Myself 💗 because it’s how I feel true love should always be in any and every relationship. Whether it’s self love, loving God 🙏🏽 or someone else, it isn’t real unless it makes me feel the way I described in that poem 💕💛
5. What does your work aim to say?
The main thing that I want people to take away after they read my work is that it’s okay to hurt; 😔💞 never feel like your pain is miniscule because others are going through something worse. Your pain is real and you have to accept it in order to get over it 💪🏽
6. Which books of poetry would you recommend?
My favorite poetry books that I would recommend are HER by @pierrejeanty , I Love My Love by @reynabiddy , and Keys & Crowbars by @jorgemendez_v35 📚💖
7. If you could tell your younger poet self anything, what would it be?
If I could tell my younger poet self anything, I’d tell her not to be ashamed of her gift and that it’s okay for writing to be her escape and that putting her pain on paper doesn’t make her weird 🗣✨💭
Thank You Al’Vina! Your work is such an inspiration.
You can find our CurlFriend Al’Vina on Instagram @al.vina.janae
Expect to meet of next CurlFriend in June